Thank you for your interest in sewing fabric surgical masks for our clinical team caring for hospice patients. Our supply of manufactured surgical masks are at critically low levels throughout the nation and locally. Your time and talent can significantly impact our ability to care for our patients and help ensure our team members remain safe. Fabric masks offer the benefit of being able to be washed and reused.
We need two-layer masks made with a pocket on top. The top pocket will allow us to place a piece of non-woven fabric from something like a surgical shoe cover and insert it into the middle creating an effective mask. You can download the pattern here Mask Instructions.
This type of top pocketed mask will enable us to use the mask all day, at the end of the shift, we will remove the non-woven fabric from the center; the outer part washed and reused. See photos.
We are not worried about looking stylish – but we are concerned about functionality. Non-matching fabrics, thread, binding strips are fine – but a well-sewn mask with no frayed edges or missed seams or holes is essential.
To make sure the masks are safe and as effective as possible, we ask that you follow the below instructions.
- All masks must be made with a pocket on the top. See photos. These masks are similar to a pillowcase.
- It is most helpful to use a standard pattern to ensure proper fit and function.
- Recommended fabric for the outer portion of the mask includes heavier, non-stretch fabric. Recommended fabric for the inner lining and filter pocket can be a cotton, cotton-blend non-stretch fabric. It can be thinner and softer, but again non-stretch.
- Fabric must be laundered in HOT water before sewing to prevent future shrinkage.
- Polyester or other less breathable fabric will not work as well, due to moisture produced when breathing.
- If using recycled fabric, please be sure it is clean and in good condition. Worn or dirty fabric will not be protective.
- Elastic should be in good shape, with plenty of stretch and of an appropriate size to fit over the ears. 1/16 inch round cord or 1/8 inch braided work best.
- If elastic is not available, fabric ties can be sewn on the mask. There will need to be four ties (one tie on each of the four corners). Ties should be approx. ¼ inch in width, sewn in such a way that there are no frayed edges, and long enough to be tied into a bow on the top of the head (for the top corner and behind the head for the bottom corner).
Please place completed masks in a closed plastic bag or closed plastic box and dropped off or mail to one of our hospice homes at the following addresses:
Circle of Life, 901 Jones Road, Springdale AR 72762
Circle of Life, 1201 NE Legacy Parkway, Bentonville AR 72712
For more information, please email Dee Vaughn at firstname.lastname@example.org.